Domestic Violence Lawyers Serving New York
A Team with Proven Results on Your Side
Being arrested and charged with a domestic violence crime can be a life-changing event. The penalties you will face will depend on the severity of the charge against you. These penalties can be harsh and can affect many aspects of your life. They can lead to jail or prison time, fines, restraining orders filed against you, and other consequences. Without a strong defense strategy, you may have little chance of avoiding such penalties, even if the other party has no wish to press charges or has recanted his or her accusations. Once charges have been filed against you, the case will be in the hands of the prosecutor who will have full discretion as to how it will proceed.
Retaining the services of a skilled and proven defense attorney at this juncture is imperative if you wish to have the best chance of a favorable outcome. You will want someone in your corner who is dedicated to your best interests only and who has the knowledge and experience to present you in the best possible light before the court. At Hamilton Clarke, LLP, you can bring your case to a legal team that has demonstrated its competence repeatedly for clients facing domestic violence as well as other criminal charges throughout all areas of New York City. Our team is backed by more than 35 years of criminal defense experience that puts you as the client front and center in a personalized approach. We understand what is at stake for those accused of domestic violence offenses and put forth our best effort in investigating, analyzing, and building a defense strategy aimed at positive results.
Domestic Violence Charges in New York
“Domestic violence” is not a specific crime in itself. Many offenses can fall under its label. These are crimes that can occur not only between spouses, ex-spouses, and intimate partners but can include other domestic and household relationships as well, such as siblings, parents, children, and those who have a child in common.
Domestic violence offenses can include both misdemeanors and felonies, including but not limited to:
- Assault, such as second and third-degree assault causing substantial pain or felonies involving the use of a dangerous weapon or serious injury
- Second-degree aggravated harassment; harassing an alleged victim through repeated contact that has no purpose other than to scare or annoy
- Stalking crimes, such as following the alleged victim that instills fear for one’s safety
- Menacing crimes, in which threats of injury are made
- Revenge porn offenses, in which unlawful publication of an intimate photo is made for others to see
- Endangering the welfare of a child; this can include hitting, punching, etc., engaging in drug-related activity around a child, and more
- Criminal mischief, such as destroying personal property of the alleged victim; charges will be based on the value of the damages committed
- Strangulation in which placing your hands around the alleged victim’s neck with even slight pressure could qualify
Penalties for these crimes can range from under a year in jail up to 35 years in prison with fines ranging from $1,000 up to $5,000. Additional penalties can include community service, completion of an anger-management program, restitution to the victim for any medical expenses or other damages, and other court-ordered actions. Furthermore, you may be subject to the terms of a restraining order due to the fact that courts err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting alleged victims and their families from harm. A restraining order can result in the necessity to vacate your home, prohibit you from any type of contact with the victim or your children, and other conditions.
A domestic violence charge can have other consequences depending on your circumstances, such as putting professional licenses and certifications in danger, posing immigration problems for noncitizens, and resulting in a permanent criminal record that can damage future employment and more.
Get the Help You Need from Hamilton Clarke, LLP
When facing the serious consequences of any domestic violence charge, you need the backup and skills of a proven defender. Our New York domestic violence attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and commitment needed to create a strategy that can put you in the best possible legal position in seeking a favorable outcome.
When facing a domestic violence charge, phone our offices at (646) 603-0522 to arrange for a confidential consultation.